What Is an Arbitration Agreement?
More and more often, parties are agreeing to sign Arbitration Agreements as a condition of employment.
Arbitration Agreements are clauses in contracts (or entire Agreements themselves) that say each party is giving up his or her right to sue in court over a job-related issue, such as termination, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, or breach of contract. If a party signs an Arbitration Agreement, that party can only pursue a job-related legal claim through arbitration, rather than through a lawsuit in state or federal court.
Advantages of Arbitration
Some advantages of Arbitration include:
- The arbitration is less formal than court
- The process is quicker
- A favorable decision is final and binding and usually cannot be appealed by the other party
Disadvantages of Arbitration
Some disadvantages of Arbitration include:
- The arbitration is before (and decided by) an arbitrator
- Not being able to present the case before a jury
- Not being able to obtain as much information from the other party
- Virtually no avenue to appeal the arbitrator’s final and binding decision if it is not favorable to you
- Inability to seek immediate relief from an ongoing violation
If an Arbitration Agreement is already in place, contact us so that we can review your Arbitration Agreement with you, defend you in arbitration proceedings, or to provide you with direct and honest advice to ensure that you understand it and can abide by its terms moving forward.
We have assisted hundreds of employees, executives, and companies alike with contract review and negotiation.
The Walcheske & Luzi, LLC Difference
At Walcheske & Luzi, LLC it is our pledge to provide open and honest advice, taking the time to listen, counsel, and advise. We will closely review any employment contract or agreement, provide a full assessment and explanation of its provisions, and openly and honestly discuss the options and determine whether further negotiations or representation is needed. Tell us about your agreement or contract, we’re ready to help.
Check out our testimonials section, where former clients have described their past experiences with us.